PUBLIC MEETING POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO COVID-19
Impacts of closing or selling the Bent County Correctional Facility:
- Loss of Jobs (approx. 220 employees with $13.2M annual payroll)
- Bent County Correctional Facility is Bent County's LARGEST employer.
- Loss of over $1.1M property tax to Bent County annually.
- Bent County Correctional Facility is Bent County's LARGEST property tax entity.
- These funds support the following special districts:
- Fire, Ambulance, Schools, Water Districts, Arkansas River Conservancy, Cemetery, Library
- Loss of this funding will result in higher taxes for community members to sustain these
- Decimation of residential property values
- Increased utility rates (due to loss of largest utility consumer)
- Student counts, impacting school funding
- Loss of over $510,000 annually in additional fees paid to Bent County
- Loss of sales tax revenue throughout county
- Social determinants to health & health equity
Bent County’s private prison is integral to the sustainability of our community. Your Commissioners support keeping the private prison open and are holding this meeting to ensure Denver hears from you. All local input will be delivered to Colorado Legislators.